Skip to content

How we are funded

The major part of Cartrefi Cymru's funding comes from local authority Social Services and/or Housing departments in the form of contracts to provide support to people who have been assessed as being in need.

Social Services provide 'Community Care' funds for personal care and social or domestic support. Housing departments provide 'Supporting People' funds for support related to people's housing and accommodation needs. These two funding streams are sometimes  combined.

Local Health Boards sometimes also contribute to the funding of care and support for people who have health related needs.

Many of the people we support are required by local authorities to contribute to the cost of their support from their own resources. People may use benefit income, such as Disability Living Allowance, or they may use the Independent Living Fund, or their private income or savings.

Some people have enough private resources to fully fund their own support, and they can simply choose to purchase services directly from us. This allows them to be in full control of the type and amount of support that they wish to purchase.

It is also possible for people to have more control over their service by obtaining a Direct Payment from their local authority. In this arrangement, people can request a regular cash payment in order to purchase services for themselves, rather than Social Services staff doing it for them. The local authority will still have to agree what you can purchase.

If you would like more information about the options of paying for care and support please contact your nearest Cartrefi Cymru office.


Share this page